BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Welcome!

Prompt Romp is your one-stop to writing bliss. Stuck for ideas? I have them. Take what you like; credit when necessary. Feedback is awesome and comments are lovely.

Like my blog? Become a follower!

Interested in trading links? Drop me an email at PrettySiren@gmail.com with "link request" in the subject line. (Writing or fandom websites only, please.)

Friday, July 24, 2009

I got the St. Louis Blues. (W.C. Handy fest post)...plus other stuff!

Specific Prompt:

Write about an event in Henry the Navigator's life. The key? Do it from the POV (point of view) from somebody of a lesser rank than his, like a servant or some other subordinate.

Historical works are usually filled with people who were famous. Me, I've always found the "little people" interesting, too. So, sometimes it's fun to mash the two worlds together, because it comes off in a surprisingly realistic way (after all, these people were flanked with lesser knowns). Do your research. Your protagonist could be a real person or someone believable that you make up. Whatever you do, give them their own voice and make them, and their opinions, important.

Fanfiction Prompts:

Caprica: Based on the pilot, what do you think happens next? Whatever you do, make it as nitty/gritty as the pilot was. Somehow, I don't think Caprica fluff would work. (Though, if you can make it, please link me.)

Heroes: Sylaire. Crackfic. Sylar and Claire (don't ask me why/how -- it's a crackfic) get a hold of some spoilers for this coming season. What are their reactions?

Harry Potter: Snape/Narcissa. AU (sadly -- I thought they had chemistry). Set before Snape dies, obviously. In fact, set it between the death of Dumbledore and Deathly Hallows. And go from there.

Write a story including the phrase:

"They killed her. Just like that."

Use this song for inspiration:

"St. Louis Blues" by W. C. Handy

It's the W.C. Handy festival this week in my hometown. Mr. Handy was born in Florence, AL (right by where I live) on November 16, 1873 and we celebrate his life and accomplishments every year around late July/early August (which happens to be my birthday timeframe, so I usually get to see good music when I go out on my birthday). So, yeah. I had to share his work today.

I love this song, because it's a story in itself set to one of the most iconic musical compositions of all time. "I hate to see that evening sun go down," is such an honest phrase for the way the song's protagonist feels, it's still more than relevant today. As is, "My man's got a heart like a rock cast in the sea". It's so poetic, you can just FEEL the pain. They don't make them like that anymore.

One Word Prompts:

Edge
Tender
Voice
Peel
Rage
Sorrow

2 comments:

Rebecca A Emrich said...

could you do,
" His tender voice had an edge to it" as Henry Hudson chief cook overheard it.

Unknown said...

That definitely works. =D